Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents occur every day on the roads of New Jersey, often requiring the need for a car accident lawyer. In fact, there have been numerous fatalities on the roads since the start of 2020. While there is no guarantee that you will not be in an accident, you should understand how these incidents happen in the first place.
Staying Safe and When You Need a Car Accident Attorney
With more accidents on the road, there is a call for tougher traffic regulations. However, stricter laws and penalties will not prevent every accident. There are times when accidents can happen due to mechanical failure, weather, or other conditions. By knowing some of the causes of car accidents, drivers can take better precautions as they face these treacherous conditions.
Many drivers practice safe habits behind the wheel, and they take measures to protect themselves and other drivers on the road. However, there are some reckless drivers out there, and their driving can lead to accidents. In many cases, these accidents could have been prevented. As a result of the actions of reckless drivers, innocent drivers and passengers can be injured or killed. When these accidents occur, the injured parties have a right to seek compensation for damages. If you have been injured by a reckless driver, seek help from an experienced car accident lawyer.
Top Reasons for Car Accidents
In some cases, accidents are just accidents. People do make mistakes. However, when those mistakes are behind the wheel, it can lead to some horrific injuries. Mistake or not, drivers are responsible for keeping themselves and everyone else safe on the road. For the most part, many accidents happen due to the irresponsibility or negligence of the driver. Here are some of the top reasons for car accidents in the Garden State:
- Distracted driving: One of the biggest causes of accidents is due to distracted driving. This type of driving includes handling a cellphone, texting, or making a call while behind the wheel. Distracted driving was cited as the main factor in about 800,000 vehicle accidents in New Jersey between 2012 and 2016. In a split second, a driver can lose control of the vehicle, rear-end another car, or run a red light.
- Driving while intoxicated: Cars and alcohol are never a good mix. DUI laws are in place to stop people from getting behind the wheel while drunk. However, these accidents still occur on a regular basis. Unfortunately, many of these accidents also involve high speeds, and that can lead to disastrous results.
- Road rage: Driving can be frustrating, especially when you are stuck in traffic. However, road-rage drivers tend to drive more aggressively than others. As a result, accidents do happen when they could have been avoided with a calmer attitude.
- Speeding: Driving at an excessive speed puts all vehicles on the road at risk. If the speeding occurs in a congested area, then pedestrians are in danger as well. At high speeds, there is a higher risk of severe damages.
- Poorly maintained vehicles: These vehicles have a higher chance of causing an accident. A poorly maintained car could have a tire blow out, or the brakes can fail. If this accident happens on the highway, it can lead to tragic consequences.
- Driver fatigue: Driving while tired can be as dangerous as drunk driving. Fatigued drivers have slower reaction times and do not pay attention to other vehicles. In some extreme cases, the driver can even fall asleep at the wheel. It only takes a few seconds to lose control of the car and cause an accident.
Contact a New Jersey Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in New Jersey, you need an experienced attorney to protect your rights. It is important to act quickly with your claim. You may be able to seek compensation for lost wages, injuries, and property damage.
At RAM Law, our attorneys have the experience to help victims of car accidents get the appropriate settlements for their cases. You want to hold those drivers accountable for your injuries. Contact our New Brunswick office at (732) 247-3600 or our Somerville office at (908) 448-2560 today. You can also visit our website to set up a consultation with a car accident attorney.